Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sewing tutorial: Cuddly little koala softie toy!


Back in 2007 I spent six amazing months in Peru. I travelled, taught, learned Spanish, volunteered and learned how to weave. I made some really good friends too.

One of those friends is starting a project to improve the lives of some of the kids who live in local orphanages. I really wanted to help, but living so far away I was not sure what I could do.

I thought I would put together a package of handmade toys (including some of these koalas) and clothes and make some learning materials for the kids. Then I wondered if there would be something more long term that I could do to help. So I'll be selling some of these koala softies in my Etsy shop and sending on the money made from their sale to my friend's project. So if you can, buy a few for the kids you know and help other children at the same time!

KOALA SOFTIE

1. Print out the pattern. Cut out two koala shapes from grey felt. You will also need:
  • two ears and a belly from a contrast colour
  • one nose and two eye pupils from black felt
  • two white eyes from white felt
  • thread for sewing together and embroidery thread for sewing the mouth








2. Attach the ears, eyes, nose and belly to the koala front. 



You could glue these on, sew by hand or machine sew them. I machine sewed because of the quantity that I plan to make, but it is completely a personal preference.

3. Embroider on a mouth where it indicates on the pattern and then attach the back by sewing close to the edges. Leave a small opening between the legs, stuff the koala with polyfill or fabric scraps and then close up.





Cute and cuddly!


No comments:

Post a Comment